1994-07-02 - PASSWORD DIFFICULTIE

Header Data

From: bmorris@netcom.com (Bob MorrisG)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a5d45bb8118a0c60bb089f074a35b853e7bc5577940b092876b510445f0d3d95
Message ID: <199407021912.MAA10503@netcom8.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Jul 94 12:12:28 PDT

Raw message

From: bmorris@netcom.com (Bob MorrisG)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 94 12:12:28 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PASSWORD DIFFICULTIE

To: cypherpunks@toad.com

KK> 22 words, a good start.  But all will appear in a short dictionary
KK> list, 4 gramatical sentences, sentences with related meaning.  Not so

But will a dictionary attack work when the passphrase is multiple words?
Because then it would have to try all the words in the dictionary
grouped with other worde, and the permutations thus become huge.

i.e. "spinachwalrusgazebo" is three words, and to me, would seem immune
from a dictionary attack, because the attack only uses single words.  Is
this right?

 * RM 1.4 B0037 *

Thread