1994-07-14 - Re: PGP bastardization (fwd)

Header Data

From: Berzerk <berzerk@xmission.xmission.com>
To: Philip Zimmermann <prz@acm.org>
Message Hash: acafce3ed1336b7a3cba45fa511bc7b3195826b3d2d58e8229948acd14c05660
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407131949.A15724-0100000@xmission>
Reply To: <m0qODxq-000305C@maalox.ppgs.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-14 01:51:36 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 18:51:36 PDT

Raw message

From: Berzerk <berzerk@xmission.xmission.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 18:51:36 PDT
To: Philip Zimmermann <prz@acm.org>
Subject: Re: PGP bastardization (fwd)

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, Philip Zimmermann wrote:
> Accordingly, I do not approve of anyone modifying the cryptographic
> characteristics of PGP.  PGP and Pretty Good Privacy are my trademarks,
> and their good name is trusted the world over because of the care that
> I have exercised in selecting its algorithms.

Do you think you might supply a version in the future supporting
1) more session key bits, for user suplied algorithims.
2) larger public keys, with no arbitrary limits.

I would be likely to *BUY* such a program, but will not buy the current
version of pgp especially with the restriction on key size.

Don't follow this up with "but it would take a gazilion universes twenty
gogelplex years to solve this" as I am fully aware of the numbers, and
disagree with 1024 as a reasonable number.

If you don't plan to relax this restriction, then you can expect people
in areas where patents are not enforced to hack your algorithim.  Not a
threat, or saying it is right, just a fact of life.

Also, as a legal issue, anyone could legaly and without fear of any
sanction produce a "modification kit" in printed form that detailed the
changes to be made to your code to become "snake oil" and such a
modification kit would be protected under the 1st amendment, and totally
outside the reach of you or any law enforcement agency.  This might not
be "respectfull" to you, but it is totally acceptable, as long as they
don't distribute the code for pgp2.6 with it.  Use could be another
thing.

I would say the only way to accomidate this is to make a biger mousetrap
for the parinoid.

Perhaps it should be called MGPD for Mega Good Privacy Dudez.:-).

Roger.

Thread