1994-07-29 - Re: (fwd) Possible compromise of anon.penet.fi

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c510ebf029a536a47701292940824055bc7e96659ab4da98a37f6d29c6958d99
Message ID: <199407290207.TAA22392@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 19:07:56 PDT

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 19:07:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: (fwd) Possible compromise of anon.penet.fi

Roy wrote about the attack on annon.penet.fi:

>I think this might be a forked attack... trying to flood penet with
>traffic, and also outing people who have used penet for anonymous
>traffic previously.  This is a good argument against maintaining a
>double-blind database (and in favor of systems like soda.berkeley.edu's
>remailer with its 'response block' strategy).

I am not sure I understand the outing part of the attack. If you have a PW
set for your anon ID then how can someone else fake your mail? If you use
no PW, then you need to wake up anyway. Perhaps outing would be what it
takes.

-- Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>  PGP public key by finger

Thread