1994-07-14 - Re: PGP bastardization (fwd)

Header Data

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d302337eede7867b0e1f60fc728c0833a67823caf624d80c77ca97107a1cfd72
Message ID: <199407141135.MAA07467@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 04:36:09 PDT

Raw message

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 04:36:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP bastardization (fwd)

	From: Mike Duvos <mpd@netcom.com>

	> He has no legal comeback

	I'm not so sure.  The code was released under the GPL.  The names PGP,
	Pretty Good Privacy, and Phil's Pretty Good Software were not.

	People can make anything they want out of the code, as long as they
	also release it under the GPL and call it something else.

	Doesn't seem like a major artistic limitation.

Yes, I agree with everyone who says prz has the right to insist that tr
changes the name of the program.  But prz's mail was *much* stronger than
that and he was demanding editorial control of the code and the manner
in which it was used.  (Reread his letter if you missed that bit).  That's
what I'm saying he has lost by issuing the code under the GPV.

(I'm not gloating - I wish he *could* have the right to do what he likes
with his code, I'm just pointing out the facts - it's too late.)