1994-07-22 - Re: Gore’s “new and improved” key escrow proposal

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Message Hash: efb3c4aaf8256f850f27d698d95cea9bbe8b2159dd81ce7d373e2a787e9888ce
Message ID: <199407220716.AAA23701@netcom8.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199407220644.XAA26141@netcom.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-22 07:16:13 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Jul 94 00:16:13 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 94 00:16:13 PDT
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Subject: Re: Gore's "new and improved" key escrow proposal

> Is it just me, or has the administration just delivered the knock-out puch?
>
> It seems that by abandoning the Clipper proposal for a software based
> system they managed to convince key industry groups (and soon the public?)
> to end their opposition to the fascist key escrow proposal. Cypherpunks, we
> are in deep trouble.

> -- Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>  PGP public key by finger

I don't think so. Like others, I thing a stall is a stall...backing
off from the Capstone/Skipjack/Tessera/etc. Escrowed Encryption
Standard things will delay them while they regroup.

(It may also throw a monkeywrench into plans by Mykotronx, National,
and others to ramp up production....some more "incentivization" may be
needed.)

Others here will have a clearer idea than I have, but I don't think a
"software standard" is what is now being planned. Software-only
solution cannot possibly have the security that's needed (e.g., it's
too easy to go in and rewrite the offending portions, diddle with the
fields, etc.).

And stalling is good. The FBI guy Kallstrom was quoted as saying that
Digital Telephony had better be passed soon, because in a year to two
it would be too expensive to make mandatory!

The longer we monkeywrench these schemes, the more "degrees of
freedom" are out there, the more there is just no way to implement
either key esrow or centralized wiretapping.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero