1994-07-04 - Re: Remailers

Header Data

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
To: David Merriman <cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Message Hash: f3916aacc302eb4331126f0ed7535700ecd18bed12f7b5915badb72cdf4db126
Message ID: <199407041939.MAA14336@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 12:35:10 PDT

Raw message

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 12:35:10 PDT
To: David Merriman <cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Subject: Re: Remailers

At 23:33 1994/07/03 -0500, David Merriman wrote:
>Grady Ward, over on alt.security.pgp/sci.crypt posted a little something
>to the effect (I'm paraphrasing, here) that sending a couple meg of random
>noise/bytes to an out-of-U.S. person/site would probably be a Good Thing
>To Do.
In the middle 70s, after Tymnet went international, I would occasionally
send a megabyte to our Paris computer in a proprietary compression format.
I do not believe that NSA spent the time to decode our format, although it
would been relatively easy for them to do so. I can only conclude that they
did not then have blanket surveillance in place, else they would have
contacted me. Both their capacity and international traffic have increased
many times. I suspect that I could do the same now.

Thread