1994-07-26 - e$ : NetBank legality

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f8a0855a7c6b553f1fde9c25335012d090705101470197f9b127bd91177a4ef4
Message ID: <199407261609.JAA09522@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 09:08:13 PDT

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 09:08:13 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: e$ : NetBank legality

I'm curious about the legality of NetBank in the context of our earlier
discussions about demand deposits and Chaum cash.  These people will take
your money and give you electronic tokens, and they will take the tokens
and give you cash (minus 20%).  Does this sound legal?  Are they a bank?

I wonder what their tax liabilities are.  Sales tax on selling the tokens?
Is this a barter system?  If so, they're supposed to get SS#'s and such.
Maybe you have to give that information if you sign up as a vendor, but
legally I'd think ordinary users would have to be reported to the IRS
as well, and it doesn't sound like they're doing that.

This whole thing sounds pretty questionable legally.  It will be interesting
to see how it comes out.

Hal

Thread