1994-08-23 - Re: NSA spy machine

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: ianf@simple.sydney.sgi.com (Ian Farquhar)
Message Hash: 26cf737101030ba6334600cf9a91a4efdfd1973bb4b1ff599d9236819e1e39e0
Message ID: <199408230445.VAA05351@netcom4.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9408220938.ZM4720@simple.sydney.sgi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-23 04:45:48 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 21:45:48 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 21:45:48 PDT
To: ianf@simple.sydney.sgi.com (Ian Farquhar)
Subject: Re: NSA spy machine

Ian F. writes:

> You're talking about silicon fab lines here, Tim.  As far as I am aware, Cray
> has never fab it's own chips.  Indeed, most of their boards which I have
> seen (I, II, Y-MP/8 and Y-MP/EL) have used chips sourced from fairly well-
> known vendors, such as VLSI Technologies.

In my last post, I forgot to mention that Cray Computer Company
actually *did* and *does* fabricate its own chips! They committed to
GaAs from a supplier and then bought the supplier when it faltered.

My recollection is that it was Gigabit Logic, but it _might_ have been
the "other" GaAs supplier, whose name escapes me this minute.

I'm not claiming this as the proximate cause of Crayco's current
problems. But I do think committing to GaAs *was* a factor, and this
relates to the levels of integration in CMOS and BiCMOS versus the
levels currently obtainable in GaAs.

A huge fraction of Crayco's spending went into the advanced robotic
wirebonding and packaging of thousands of GaAs chips. IBM spent vast
fortunes on its advanced packaging/cooling systems, while Intel and
other chip companies concentrated on CMOS VLSI, with much lower
overall packaging and cooling costs for the same performance.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero