1994-08-31 - Cyberspatial governments?

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2a859fe2593ddc82513246e5319ad9c545c3897151790ed23376161b08340b11
Message ID: <9408310515.AA02777@ah.com>
Reply To: <199408302123.RAA22479@walker.bwh.harvard.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-31 05:36:21 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 22:36:21 PDT

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 22:36:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cyberspatial governments?

	   As Eric likes to point out, the Government is not a huge,
   monolithic enemy.  It is a multitude of huge enemies.

This was my best joke during my crypto presentation at HOPE a couple
of weeks ago.  I was describing threat models for remailer networks.

1. Recipient -- any indirection works

2. Sysadmins, and then I added, "or anyone else with root access".
That got a big laugh.

3. Operators of the remailer nodes

4. Gov't -- law enforcement

5. Gov't -- national security

It was during my explanation on why the FBI doesn't really get access
to National Technical Means, e.g. NSA SIGINT, that I got the BIG laugh.

Eric

Thread