1994-08-26 - Re: Arizona State Email Non-Privacy Policy

Header Data

From: NetSurfer <jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
To: Steve Witham <sw@tiac.net>
Message Hash: 2b98bc199fb79c2c484a2c25ae00d973edea21a1dfaa64d59f09fe69a0d11ab1
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9408260705.B6141-c100000@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
Reply To: <199408260051.UAA04839@zork.tiac.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-26 17:24:22 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 10:24:22 PDT

Raw message

From: NetSurfer <jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 10:24:22 PDT
To: Steve Witham <sw@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Arizona State Email Non-Privacy Policy

On Thu, 25 Aug 1994, Steve Witham wrote:

> >I want to ask you something.  What sorts of illegal things could a person do
> >with an email account?  What's happening is that A.S.U. has just adopted a
> >policy which allows them to...well, this is way it says: "The routine
> >management and administration communication systems or computers may include
> >the monitoring of any or all activity on these systems on a regular basis"
> >blah blah blah "Any message is permanent and may be read by persons other than
> >the intended reader."  I'm sure this has always been the case, and that they
> >are just coming out with it.  They also say that "We no longer take requests
> >for the Public Records Act." Do you know what that means?

This is like those recordings while you are on hold that say "your call
may be monitored for quality assurance" etc. - they have to warn you up
front to do so legally.  You then have a choice to use or not use their
system for any communications you want kept private from their perusing
probiscus.

> >You know, some landlord out here just got arrested for installing video
> >cameras in his tennant's apartments...  it seems like a similar situation to

Big difference here - in Hawaii you must put up signs if you have any
video monitoring equipment in or around the common areas, perimeter of the
building etc. informing people that the areas are monitored using video
surveillance etc.  Inside your apartment is another story - over here you
are protected by the Landlord-Tenant code not to mention a variety of
other ordinance.

> >Something else, I just found out that it's "inappropriate" to use the A.S.U.
> >system for social correspondence!  It's listed uner abuses along with
> >computer fraud and pirating. (!)

Surprise.  It is their equipment to do with as they please and if you
don't want to follow along with their conditions of access...  In the
gov't it is literally against the law and considered theft of government
resources (cpu time, equipment (pc, terminal etc.), electricity...) to use
government equipment for private purposes.

> Quite a few people answered (thank you all) my earlier question by saying that
> doing your own encryption is the best solution.  True in a way, but I know
> there are "student rights" groups that specifically work to intimidate
> college computer administrations into modifying these sorts of policies,
> also setting up standard privacy policies, etc.  Is there some other mailing
> list or newsgroup where I would find them?

This is where PGP on your local machine fits in.  As long as they don't
have your private key and can't capture keystrokes or access your local
machine you can keep your communications private.

Try EPIC, CPSR, EFF for info.

-NetSurfer

#include standard.disclaimer

==  =    = |James D. Wilson        |V.PGP 2.7:   512/E12FCD 1994/03/17 >
 "  "    " |P. O. Box 15432        |     finger for full PGP key        >
\"  "/  \" |Serendipitous Solutions|    Also NetSurfer@sersol.com      >

Thread