1994-08-30 - Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

Header Data

From: Linn Stanton <lstanton@sten.lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 35b3dd8f52d3c974b373324801ff705d99552ce7d39b91c6b3b622327ce33817
Message ID: <9408301713.AA08110@sten.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9408301507.AA01626@ah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-30 17:12:28 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 10:12:28 PDT

Raw message

From: Linn Stanton <lstanton@sten.lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 10:12:28 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes) writes:
  > ~"The cost of compliance in a typical USA bank is 14% of operating
  > costs."~
  > Now 14% is huge in terms of relative competitive disadvantage.  In a
  > tight market, even a 3% price difference in a commodity service is
  > enough to capture a market.  It's these kinds of effects combined with
  > international competition which will cause banking deregulation in the
  > USA.

Not necessarily. The real figure we need is not the US cost of compliance,
but the difference between US costs and costs in other major banking
markets.

Thread