1994-08-12 - Re: NY Times on e$

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 415f8b7e8aa61cd0ecf09641201711568d19ef85f65ff7067caf89abe55b68b2
Message ID: <9408121304.AA00881@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199408121246.IAA20422@pipe1.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-12 13:05:10 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Aug 94 06:05:10 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 94 06:05:10 PDT
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: NY Times on e$

John Young says:
> The NY Times today reports on "the first retail transaction on
> the Internet using a readily available version of powerful data
> encryption software designed to guarantee privacy."

It was the usual Times junk. It wasn't the first retail transaction by
a long shot, and wasn't the first to use encryption by a long shot.

Unfortunately, the Times gave this beat to Lewis and not to Markoff,
and Lewis doesn't seem to think he has to "live" on the net and have a
personal feel for it in order to report on it. I'm sure he's not a bad
guy personally, but he's made a hash of almost every story he's
covered (sigh). (The recent story on the size of the internet
community was an especially bad one -- he didn't understand the
distinctions being made between people behind firewalls and people not
behind firewalls (I know of about 100,000 machines on wall street
behind firewalls), and didn't understand, probably because he doesn't
read the net too much, that there are fairly reliable statistics for
Usenet readership.)

Perry

Thread