1994-08-21 - Re: Come On

Header Data

From: xentrac@cybele.unm.edu (Kragen J. Sittler)
To: SADLER_C@hosp.stanford.edu (Connie Sadler)
Message Hash: 41662981a17e2b746d0b69a17556c5f53bc1f22dda99f4ae719c234ca7209bdd
Message ID: <9407192238.AA20556@cybele.unm.edu>
Reply To: <01HEVY8UMCCK00156P@MR.STANFORD.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-21 00:23:22 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 17:23:22 PDT

Raw message

From: xentrac@cybele.unm.edu (Kragen J. Sittler)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 17:23:22 PDT
To: SADLER_C@hosp.stanford.edu (Connie Sadler)
Subject: Re: Come On

Connie Sadler:
> and BERZERK responds:
> >>
> >> 6) Oh yeah, the women are unable to do anything except talk on the phone,
> >> get into catfights, give men blowjobs, and kill people by accident.  The
>
> >I liked that part.:-)

jdblair is pointing out that the women in the movie are sexually
objectified, reduced to objects without minds.

> >> If anyone has a good monkeywrench, send it my way.
> >Hehehhehehehehheheheheh.

This is unrelated to 6).  'Monkeywrenching' is the practice of
sabotaging 'the system' so that it won't damage nature, usually.  In
this case, it's more likely that he's talking about sabotaging the
government.

The term is named after the Edward Abbey novel _The Monkey Wrench
Gang_, in which a group of people go around destroying heavy
machinery, bridges, billboards, and so forth, because they are
damaging the environment.

> My first post, although I've been *listening* for some time now. I'm all for
> privacy and private encryption, and am learning a lot from this list - just
> installed PGP on two platforms and am learning how to use it. I agree that
> there are very few women involved - is this an all boys club?

I think the conspiratorial atmosphere tends to attract men more than
women.  That's why there are so few women, IMHO.

> I assume not,
> but have to say I find lines like the above very offensive/non-professional.
> I won't let it stop me from continuing on, but what's the point? I really
> don't get it.

I think you've misinterpreted it.

Kragen

Thread