1994-08-11 - Re: IDEA vs DES

Header Data

From: Jeremiah A Blatz <darklord+@CMU.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 42970a55fb62b55ffad24c6eeab21afd5961e8e625633ba54eb87c828c6b7b67
Message ID: <QiGQ2FK00iV688n8F0@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199408080106.SAA01619@unix.ka9q.ampr.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-11 06:10:38 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 23:10:38 PDT

Raw message

From: Jeremiah A Blatz <darklord+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 23:10:38 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: IDEA vs DES

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 7-Aug-94 IDEA vs DES by Phil
Karn@unix.ka9q.ampr
> Anybody know the speed of the integer multiply instruction on the
> various PowerPC chips? Along with modular exponentiation and vocoders,
> which also do a lot of multiplies, it looks like fast multiplication
> is becoming rather important in secure communications.

PowerPC integer performance is rather impressive, i.e. faster than
Pentium by a bit. One craveat, tho, Apple says "No!" to programming in
assembly, and I doubt that IBM is all this happy about it either. My
guess is that MacOS is approaching the Unix "distribute source, 'cause
you're gonna have to do lots of re-compiles" type of thing. Just a
guess, though. Anyway, there is one assembly interpreter out for
PowerMacs, I don't know about the IBM PowerPCs, though.

Back to lurking,
jer

darklord@cmu.edu | "it's not a matter of rights  / it's just a matter of war
finger me for my |  don't have a reason to fight / they never had one before"
   Geek Code and |                                    -Ministry, "Hero"
  PGP public key | http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr25/jbde/

Thread