1994-08-16 - RE: RemailNet

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4b385f685d015989327121ed3f58a35636991e91c13aebeab3a1910f40bee85c
Message ID: <199408160108.SAA26235@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <199408131502.IAA18745@kaiwan.kaiwan.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-16 01:08:12 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 18:08:12 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 18:08:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: RemailNet

>There might be at least one good reason for NOT going overseas on
>that first leg.  The NSA's charter restricts it to international
>operations.  By making that first leg a foreign one, you've made
>your transmission, the one with your address visible, fair game
>for them.

In theory, yes. But I've heard rumors from Canadian Bell people that
their American counterparts routinely call them up to ask that they
"throw switches" that they cannot legally throw themselves.

That, plus well documented history, is enough for me to always assume
that they *don't* follow the rules.

Phil

Thread