1994-08-20 - 15 years!

Header Data

From: cyber1@io.org (Cyber City)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5b30da7a575e386d8f3134e2e6db2c8af835602d9458955417fc8654feb5db43
Message ID: <m0qbnz7-000tylC@io.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 03:49:26 PDT

Raw message

From: cyber1@io.org (Cyber City)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 03:49:26 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: 15 years!

Mats Bergstrom <matsb@sos.sll.se> says:

> I commented on this before but feel like repeating myself: So an alt.2600
> tec-addict makes some hardware hacks on his cellular - and gets 15 years
> in the slammer for catching some airwaves. A punishment scale suggestive
> of a very repressive state!

Many laws passed in the last decade have penalties which are coercive rather
than punitive.  The real intent is to force the accused to give up his
accomplices.  In fact, law enforcement has had some successes employing this
tactic, but at what cost!

--
Alex Brock

Thread