1994-08-20 - Single DES cracking vs. idiots

Header Data

From: Jim Hart <hart@chaos.bsu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6a92adada1aab9aa7def7ddbf1feaac2d81f63887cd5c7e86b357acc9a99b471
Message ID: <199408201820.NAA02163@chaos.bsu.edu>
Reply To: <199408192321.AA28154@access3.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-20 18:19:33 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 11:19:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim Hart <hart@chaos.bsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 11:19:33 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Single DES cracking vs. idiots

Along with many others, Peter Wayner discusses craching DES:
> I rate that this chip could be 20 times faster than the
> earlier design. That puts it at 100 days per DES attack.

I really don't understand what the concern is here.  We all
have access to crypto that is much stronger than single DES.
Anybody who is using single DES for something so important,
that it is worthwhile to spend 100 supercomputer days to
crack it, is really such an idiot that they deserve whatever
they get.

Jim Hart
hart@chaos.bsu.edu

Thread