1994-08-04 - New book on public key law

Header Data

From: paul@poboy.b17c.ingr.com (Paul Robichaux)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6f3982585dba2926563d1b4e048cf44c7fe4964dce6914d0ea8411f35a0ccd7e
Message ID: <199408041258.AA09638@poboy.b17c.ingr.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Aug 94 05:56:15 PDT

Raw message

From: paul@poboy.b17c.ingr.com (Paul Robichaux)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 94 05:56:15 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: New book on public key law

There's an announcement in the latest comp.risks digest about a new
book on public key law & policy. I've reproduced parts of the abstract
below. It sounds pretty interesting.

- -Paul

>Date: Sun, 31 Jul 1994 08:51:33 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Michael S Baum <baum@world.std.com>
>Subject: Report Released on Public Key Law and Policy

**NEW INFO. SECURITY BOOK ON PUBLIC KEY LAW & POLICY**

TITLE:   FEDERAL CERTIFICATION AUTHORITY LIABILITY AND POLICY --
 Law and Policy of Certificate-Based Public Key and Digital Signatures

AUTHOR:   MICHAEL S. BAUM, J.D., M.B.A.
	  Independent Monitoring

Report No. NIST-GCR-94-654
450+ pages, highly annotated; multiple appendices; indexed.

   U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE

Produced in support of the Federal Government's public key infrastructure
study, this book identifies diverse technical, legal and policy issues
affecting a certificate-based public key cryptographic infrastructure
utilizing digital signatures supported by "trusted entities." It examines
potential legal implications, surveys existing legal paradigms and the
structures and roles of relevant governmental agencies and presents various
institutional approaches to controlling liability. It considers the
underpinnings of a legal and policy framework which might serve as a
foundation for security policies and their implementation and concludes with
a series of recommendations, both general and specific concerning
certificate-based public key. Both public and private sector issues are
addressed.

[ .. elided .. ]

SUMMARY OF CONTENTS:
- -	PREFACE
- -	ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
- -	TABLE OF CONTENTS
I.	INTRODUCTION
II.	SCOPE
III.	DEFINITIONS
IV.	ASSUMPTIONS
V.	SURVEY OF FCA ACTIVITIES CREATING LIABILITY EXPOSURE
VI.	LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS
VII.	FCA INFRASTRUCTURE - PROPOSALS AND PARADIGMS
VIII.	SURVEY OF, AND APPROACHES TO, TRUSTED ENTITY LIABILITY
IX.	OTHER APPROACHES TO MITIGATE LIABILITY
X.	CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
XI.	APPENDICES
XII.	GLOSSARY
XIII.	INDEX

OBTAINING COPIES: Copies may be purchased through the National Technical
Information Service, Springfield, Virginia 22161, U.S.A., Phone +1 (703)
487-4650 or 1-800-553-6847.  Request NTIS Document No: PB94-191-202.  Cost:
$61.00

[ .. ABOUT THE AUTHOR elided .. ]

- --
Paul Robichaux, KD4JZG      | "Information is the currency of democracy."
perobich@ingr.com           |     - some old guy named Thomas Jefferson
	       Of course I don't speak for Intergraph.

- --
Paul Robichaux, KD4JZG      | "Information is the currency of democracy."
perobich@ingr.com           |     - some old guy named Thomas Jefferson
	       Of course I don't speak for Intergraph.

Thread