1994-08-25 - Re: Voluntary Governments?(Coercive Persuasion)

Header Data

From: blancw@pylon.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 73f477661742e5d7092a6de1cb25f378b3d068bd2d333cb2403950b568ec97b7
Message ID: <199408250741.AAA07331@deepthought.pylon.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 00:40:37 PDT

Raw message

From: blancw@pylon.com
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 00:40:37 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Voluntary Governments?(Coercive Persuasion)

<Delete if you don't find this spine-tingly, effervescently
thrilling>

From Jason W Solinsky:

. . .You can form a fairly potent government using economic
coercion. . .
. . . the power of a cybergovernment to banish citizens gives
it the abilility to enforce its regulations.
(assuming I have nowhere to go besides the astral plane)

I wasn't going to add to this discussion anymore, but I
couldn't believe it.  I didn't use to think that it was so
difficult to distinguish between "real" government and any
other kind of controlling influence.  Reflecting upon the
difference between kinds of control and the difference it
makes, I made a list of important elements which help me
identify what kind of a yoke is over my neck:

.  governance by force = control

.  the direction of the intended influence:
   a withholding of services & benefits, or
   an imposition over the individual

.  the duration of that controlling influence:
   related to a specific event, or
   maintained ever-presently as a matter of course

.  the scope of the influence:
   specific to a particular function, or encompassing a
geographic area;
   limited to family, friends, or
   inclusive of all mankind, or perhaps
   encompassing every living thing on the planet as well
   all the mineral rights and all the forests and the seas

.  the kind of control being exerted:
   dependent upon an individual's self-committment, or
   having overriding precedence

.  expected complicity from the recipients:
   their apparent willingness to knowingly subject themselves
to another's ministrations, or
   their protests against obligatory participation

.  recognition of Authority:
   passive recipience, or active participation;
   acknowledging the other party's sovereignty; or
   not considering themselves subjects of it

.  how those in control "achieve" or ascend to their position
of authority over all others within that system, and
.  how the relationship to that authority is managed:

   by the individual's own attraction/desires for the
possession or reception of things which s/he does not have;
   by threats against the capacity for self-determination &
self-command

.  what it is that "they" are aiming for:   what do they want
from those upon whom they exert influence or control:
   -  their business
   -  attention
   -  their material property
   -  their soul
   -  support for their delusions of grandeur

Otherwise, I can usually tell because they give themselves
names like "United", "National", "World", or because all of the
individuals within that jurisdiction presumably belong to it
and assume the identity of the organized entity; they are known
outside of it by its name (Americans, Greeks).

Blanc

Thread