1994-08-25 - Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

Header Data

From: jdd@aiki.demon.co.uk (Jim Dixon)
To: ravage@bga.com
Message Hash: 786835afbd3b0159b71351c3bf7b5bf56792bb6ecb309341aa222bd21c53bc39
Message ID: <7866@aiki.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 12:10:20 PDT

Raw message

From: jdd@aiki.demon.co.uk (Jim Dixon)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 12:10:20 PDT
To: ravage@bga.com
Subject: Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

In message <199408251812.NAA00474@zoom.bga.com> Jim choate writes:
> I would like to request some reference on the use of Uranium in the casing
> of a shell or round. The casing gets thrown out on the ground (by both
> aircraft and tanks) when the round goes off. There is no reason to use
> anything other than brass or steel for this.

There is some confusion in terminology here.  The brass case is indeed
discarded when the round is fired.  Byt 'casing' he means the exterior of
the warhead.  The word 'round' is used for both the warhead+gunpowder+brass
and then for the warhead itself.  Larger artillery pieces do not use a
brass shell case at all.  The round is loaded, and then the powder is
rammed in after it.

> I can find no reference any U-core round being HE or otherwise carrying a
> charge. In all cases that I am aware of and can find reference to it is simply
> a KE attack on the target where the by products of the impact bounce around
> inside the target grinding up whatever is in there.

I believe that this is true, except that the 'products of the impact' are
drops of metal and what they do is worse than grinding something up.
--
Jim Dixon

Thread