1994-08-31 - Re: Governments and repression

Header Data

From: Al Billings <mimir@io.com>
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Message Hash: 97d56e10b8e2ca670f1a59967ac94eb80de1ef84950dd2fa45363fd5e62fce81
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9408310453.A4730-0100000@pentagon.io.com>
Reply To: <gate.L9swRc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-31 09:40:56 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Aug 94 02:40:56 PDT

Raw message

From: Al Billings <mimir@io.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 94 02:40:56 PDT
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Subject: Re: Governments and repression

On Wed, 31 Aug 1994 rishab@dxm.ernet.in wrote:

> jamesd@netcom.com:
> > Obviously most people do not call MIT a government.
> >
> > And if MIT built some prison cells under the Admin building and started
> > locking people up in the dungeons for long periods, then people would
> > call MIT a government.
>
> Hezbollah, Hamas, the IRA, the Khmers Rouges lock people up. You may not
> believe it but there are those who accept their 'rules' under the threat of
> violence. I suppose 'most people' call _them_ governments?
>
> I'm amazed at the way some of you keep screaming about the violence of
> governments. Maybe you need to experience some _real_ repression.

I see. It's the ole "It's worse in other places so quit bitching." Sure,
it's worse in a lot of places. This is the U.S.A. (or it is where I am).
We use most of the world's resources and we are leaders in quite a few
technologies (or close to it). That doesn't mean that when things are
getting shitty here I have to tolerate it because "it could be worse" or
"you could live under a REALLY repressive government." I don't want to
live under ANY repressive government, period.

Thread