1994-08-26 - Spoofing Nuclear Weapons and PGP

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 980f00735b73e9d61d85fdf4576071395c707530f61b1c023a7793ec83bfb498
Message ID: <199408260007.UAA09301@pipe1.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 17:08:41 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 17:08:41 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Spoofing Nuclear Weapons and PGP

Responding to msg by dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Mikolaj
Habryn) on Thu, 25 Aug  5:51 PM

>not really certain. *shrug* sorry. Read some books on
>it - the  amount of literature which should be
>classified but is freely available  is mind-boggling.

To tie this back to crypto and technology:

Under a sub-sub-sub-contract I once worked on some phony CAD
drawings for the nuclear weapons production process, plotting
false info that still appears in popular books, some of which
has been posted here.

The docs were then encrypted and stegonagraphied for
authenticity.  We were told that they were turned loose on the
market for this product in other countries.

I don't know if the USG was involved, there no security
clearances.  It may have been a commercial scam.

Also, growing up not to far from LANL, I was told that kids of
staff were encouraged to chat about B-this  and W-that by the
security people there as part of the fog around that outfit.

This supports the suggestion for profligate use of PGP as a
stratagem, to make it harder to tell the trivial from the
other.

Or is public encryption a stratagem to focus on software rather
than hardware?

Anybody hear anything about covert ID in new-generation CPUs,
like done with supercomps?

John

Thread