1994-08-23 - Re: Voluntary Governments?

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: abc1ddbc966aaf1e53101190ae1ff36f5d1105da6a4cf97a0b358095f4d72e37
Message ID: <m0qd0At-000I8SC@crynwr.com>
Reply To: <7278@aiki.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-23 18:48:10 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 11:48:10 PDT

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 11:48:10 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Voluntary Governments?

   Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 18:15:12 GMT
   From: jdd@aiki.demon.co.uk (Jim Dixon)

   I grew up in a small town of 5,000.  It had a city government.	The
   county government was in the same town.  No one denies that California
   has a government, I think.  And then there was the US government.  And
   we had city police, the sheriff's office, the Highway Patrol, and the
   FBI paid an occasional visit.

   So drop the word 'exclusive'.

The government still excludes non-governmental authorities from using
violence.

   In our high school we had a student government.  We had no prisons
   and no guns.

Then you were a club.  Or, you were a government whose rules were
enforced by other governments.

   area, and that control need not be effected with guns.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/crynwr/nelson.html
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.

Thread