1994-08-18 - Zimmermann on PGP 2.6 myths

Header Data

From: Philip Zimmermann <prz@acm.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)
Message Hash: b7845555d91e70a6c6a4a500c2ed20cfebe96b899396158d104f07acd188f03a
Message ID: <9408180644.AA16037@columbine.cgd.ucar.EDU>
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 23:44:10 PDT

Raw message

From: Philip Zimmermann <prz@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 23:44:10 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)
Subject: Zimmermann on PGP 2.6 myths

To:   All Users of PGP
From: Philip Zimmermann, creator of PGP
Re:   Misconceptions about PGP 2.6 from MIT
Date: 18 Aug 94

I'd like to clear up some widely held misconceptions about PGP
version 2.6 from MIT.  I get a lot of email and phone calls from
people who report a lot of misinformation on many Internet newsgroups
about this MIT version of PGP.

(For those of you who need an introduction to Pretty Good Privacy
(PGP), it is a free software package that encrypts email.  PGP is the
worldwide defacto standard for email encryption.  It's available via
FTP from net-dist.mit.edu, in the pub/PGP directory.  But then, if
you haven't heard of PGP, you don't need to read this letter.)

Here is a list of misconceptions:

Myth #1:  PGP 2.6 is incompatible with previous versions.
Myth #2:  PGP 2.6 is weaker than previous versions, with a back door.
Myth #3:  PGP 2.6 was released without Zimmermann's cooperation.

All of these misconceptions would be cleared up if you read the PGP
User's Guide that comes with PGP 2.6, but a lot of people seem to be
spreading and believing these myths without looking into the matter
empirically and getting the new PGP and reading the manual.  Let's go
over these myths in detail.

Myth #1:  PGP 2.6 is incompatible with previous versions.

This is untrue.  PGP 2.6 will ALWAYS be able to read stuff from
earlier versions.

PGP version 2.6 can read anything produced by versions 2.3, 2.3a,
2.4, or 2.5.  However, because of a negotiated agreement between MIT
and RSA Data Security, PGP 2.6 will change its behavior slightly on 1
September 1994, triggered by a built-in software timer.  On that
date, version 2.6 will start producing a new and slightly different
data format for messages, signatures and keys.  PGP 2.6 will still be
able to read and process messages, signatures, and keys produced
under the old format, but it will generate the new format.  This
change is intended to discourage people from continuing to use the
older (2.3a and earlier) versions of PGP, which Public Key Partners
contends infringes its RSA patent (see the section on Legal Issues).
PGP 2.4, distributed by Viacrypt (see the section Where to Get a
Commercial Version of PGP) avoids infringement through Viacrypt's
license arrangement with Public Key Partners.  PGP 2.5 and 2.6 avoid
infringement by using the RSAREF(TM) Cryptographic Toolkit, under
license from RSA Data Security, Inc.

According to ViaCrypt, which sells a commercial version of PGP,
ViaCrypt PGP will evolve to maintain interoperability with new
freeware versions of PGP, beginning with ViaCrypt PGP 2.7.

It appears that PGP 2.6 has spread to Europe, despite the best
efforts of MIT and myself to prevent its export.  Since Europeans now
seem to be using version 2.6 in Europe, they will have no problems
maintaining compatability with the Americans.

Outside the United States, the RSA patent is not in force, so PGP
users there are free to use implementations of PGP that do not rely
on RSAREF and its restrictions.  Canadians may use PGP without using
RSAREF, and there are legal ways to export PGP to Canada.  In
environments where RSAREF is not required, it is possible to
recompile the same PGP source code to perform the RSA calculations
without using the RSAREF library, and re-release it under the
identical licensing terms as the current standard freeware PGP
release, but without the RSAREF-specific restrictions.  The licensing
restrictions imposed by my agreement with ViaCrypt apply only inside
the USA and Canada.  It seems likely that any versions of PGP
prepared outside the US will follow the new format, whose detailed
description is available from MIT.  If everyone upgrades before
September 1994, no one will experience any discontinuity in
interoperability.

Some people are attracted to PGP because it appeals to their
rebellious nature, and this also makes them resent anything that
smacks of "giving in" to authority.  So they want to somehow
circumvent this change in PGP.  Even though the change doesn't hurt
them at all.  I'd like to urge them to think this one through, and
see that there is absolutely no good reason to try to get around it.
This new version is not "crippled" -- in fact, it is the old versions
that are now crippled.  I hope that PGP's "legalization" does not
undermine its popularity.

This format change beginning with 2.6 is similar to the process that
naturally happens when new features are added, causing older versions
of PGP to be unable to read stuff from the newer PGP, while the newer
version can still read the old stuff.  All software evolves this way.
The only difference is that this is a "legal upgrade", instead of a
technical one.  It's a worthwhile change, if it can achieve peace in
our time.

Future versions of PGP now under development will have really cool new
features, some of which can only be implemented if there are new data
format changes to support them.  Like 2.6, the newer versions will
still read the older stuff, but will generate new stuff that the old
versions can't read.  Anyone who clings to the old versions, just to
be rebellious, will miss out on these cool new features.

There is a another change that effects interoperability with earlier
versions of PGP.  Unfortunately, due to data format limitations
imposed by RSAREF, PGP 2.5 and 2.6 cannot interpret any messages or
signatures made with PGP version 2.2 or earlier.  Since we had no
choice but to use the new data formats, because of the legal
requirement to switch to RSAREF, we can't do anything about this
problem for now.  Not many people are still using version 2.2 or
older, so it won't hurt much.

Beginning with version 2.4 (which was ViaCrypt's first version)
through at least 2.6, PGP does not allow you to generate RSA keys
bigger than 1024 bits.  The upper limit was always intended to be
1024 bits -- there had to be some kind of upper limit, for
performance and interoperability reasons.  But because of a bug in
earlier versions of PGP, it was possible to generate keys larger than
1024 bits.  These larger keys caused interoperability problems
between different older versions of PGP that used different
arithmetic algorithms with different native word sizes.  On some
platforms, PGP choked on the larger keys.  In addition to these older
key size problems, the 1024-bit limit is now enforced by RSAREF.  A
1024-bit key is very likely to be well out of reach of attacks by
major governments.  In some future version, PGP will support bigger
keys.  This will require a carefully phased software release approach,
with a new release that accepts larger keys, but still only generates
1024-bit keys, then a later release that generates larger keys.

Myth #2:  PGP 2.6 is weaker than previous versions, with a back door.

This is not true.  I would not allow MIT or anyone else to weaken PGP
or put a back door in.  Anyone who knows me will tell you that.

This is not to say that PGP doesn't have any bugs.  All versions have
had bugs.  But PGP 2.6 has no known bugs that have any net effect on
security.  And MIT should be releasing a bug-fixed version of PGP 2.6
Real Soon Now.

Myth #3:  PGP 2.6 was released without Zimmermann's cooperation.

Well, that's not true, either.  Or I wouldn't be telling you all
this.

MIT did not steal PGP from me.  This was a joint venture by MIT and
myself, to solve PGP's legal problems.  It took a lot of manuevering
by me and my lawyers and by my friends at MIT and MIT's lawyers to
pull this off.  It worked.  We should all be glad this came off the
way it did.  This is a major advance in our efforts to chip away at
the formidable legal and political obstacles placed in front of PGP;
we will continue to chip away at the remaining obstacles.

I hope this clears up the myths about PGP 2.6.  I urge all PGP users
to upgrade to the new version before September.  And I urge you all
to use the official 2.6 release, not anyone else's incompatible
bastardized mutant strain of PGP.  Please pass the word around, and
help dispel these misguided rumors.  This letter may be (and should
be) quickly reposted to BBS's and all appropriate newsgroups.

 --Philip Zimmermann

Thread