1994-08-09 - Re: No more NSA supra-computer?

Header Data

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
To: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
Message Hash: b928b0902f012f6de5b49027ce38d00354ad932454b66e25214a8e4d3ccd7498
Message ID: <199408091946.AA27864@access2.digex.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 12:47:20 PDT

Raw message

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 12:47:20 PDT
To: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
Subject: Re: No more NSA supra-computer?

>Yesterday I was talking with a friend, and the subject of supercomputers
>came up. Naturally, I mentioned the NSA 7000 Y-MP equivalent and Gunter
>Ahrendt's list of supercomputers worldwide (finger
>gunter@yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au). My friend sent me a note this morning saying
>that he couldn't find that machine on Gunter's list; sure enough, it's been
>removed.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that it disappeared for "security"
reasons. They have a habit of keeping the smallest bit of light from
emerging. For instance, no one knows the "Black" part of the budget. It's
classified. But you can take the total budget amount and subtract the
non-Black section and get the result. They make you do the math.

Thread