1994-08-01 - Re: Encryption in Fiction (DKM’s The Long Run)

Header Data

From: Al Billings <mimir@io.com>
To: “Patrick G. Bridges” <patrick@CS.MsState.Edu>
Message Hash: c7b38be51c809fddcfd54af4fd84e376e0237dd69a6fee3ed2261cf51e875691
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9408011842.D6979-0100000@pentagon.io.com>
Reply To: <9408012242.AA05532@Walt.CS.MsState.Edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-01 23:46:09 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 16:46:09 PDT

Raw message

From: Al Billings <mimir@io.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 16:46:09 PDT
To: "Patrick G. Bridges" <patrick@CS.MsState.Edu>
Subject: Re: Encryption in Fiction (DKM's _The Long Run_)

On Mon, 1 Aug 1994, Patrick G. Bridges wrote:

> In _The Long Run _(tLR), the Network on Earth is essentially uncontrolled
> despite the best efforts of the government because it was created without their
> direct control; it's creation was over and done with before they could get
> their nosy little fingers involved. Meanwhile, the Lunar network (separate from
> the Earth network becasue of the time it takes data to go from earth to the
> moon and back) is stricly controlled by the Lunar Information Network Key
> (LINK), an encryption system which monitors all traffic on the network and must
> approve all transactions.  (Of course, all government transactions are
> "pre-approved"...)
>
> Sounds sort of cliiper-esque, eh?
>
> Of course, the hero of the book, Trent, doesn't like this system...  :-)

This is one of my favorite books as well.. You should have mentioned that
Trent (the uncatchable) dislikes LINK so much that he STEALS it from
under the nose of the government to free the Lunar network. No LINK, no
monitoring and while the network is in chaos, the other hackers (players)
and such can reorganize the system.

--
Al Billings	mimir@io.com	http://io.com/user/mimir/asatru.html
Nerd-Alberich			Admin for Troth - The Asatru E-mail List

Thread