1994-08-29 - Re: Announcing Bellcore’s Trusted Software Integrity (Betsi) System

Header Data

From: rubin@faline.bellcore.com (Avi Rubin)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d3b360216fb1711b994232844daa85635ae6a54d410f77eac68ba078df30accb
Message ID: <199408292103.RAA18305@faline.bellcore.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 14:04:03 PDT

Raw message

From: rubin@faline.bellcore.com (Avi Rubin)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 14:04:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Announcing Bellcore's Trusted Software Integrity (Betsi) System

> Am I totally off base in thinking that distributing the fingerprint in
>  the same way as the public key is close to totally pointless?

Well, in many cases, people will be checking the key in several
different places for extra assurance that it is correct. Including
the fingerprint just saves them a calculation. I suppose you have
a point that the fingerprints could all match, and be unrelated
to the key being posted, but then I'd only be cheating myself.

Thread