1994-08-28 - The Trouble With Crypto

Header Data

From: blancw@pylon.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d5c10353d642d7d7105b123aa7ae292394ccb5fafe1bb4128f944f76eb140e36
Message ID: <199408280645.XAA22599@deepthought.pylon.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Aug 94 00:07:25 PDT

Raw message

From: blancw@pylon.com
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 94 00:07:25 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The Trouble With Crypto

Responding to msg by nobody@ds1.wu-wien.ac.at:

1
2
3
4
5
7
>As for dc-nets, give me a solid example why you ever
>need to  communicate with one.
8
 I see a limited deployment, and almost no
9
>. . . I suppose a  discussion about
>atomic bombs will likely be of greater impact on our
>future than crypto anarchy will.
10
>Cypherpunks write code, but if there is sufficient
>cause to warrant  the time and trouble!

You might be right, having accrued at least 10 reasons why the
list discussions do not altogether convince of the importance
of using encryption as a matter of course or for the
re-structuring of society.

The choice to use crypto is a little different from the sense
of wanting to use it from desperation; I think it is the
difference between determining factors:  when it is the
individual themselves who decide to employ the tool for
whatever reason they have to either use it or not at their
discretion, or when the circumstance seems to dictate for the
person what they must do -   that they must go to desperate
means to ensure privacy, from a perceived threat which demands
that they hide their communication.

One of the important issues regarding the use of encryption is
not necessarily whether it is used or not as a matter of
course, but rather the controversy over the source of the
permission to use it as well as the imposed obligation to
participate in self-incriminating applications of it.  i.e. do
individuals have the sovereign right to use tools which result
in a division between public & private existence, or are they
obligated to keeping their lives accessible to intervening
governing agencies?  To me a cumbersome tool would require
sufficient cause to use it.  However, I would appreciate its
existence in case of emergency, if there was no better one
available, and I would protest the idea that it was anyone
else's prerogative to decide for me when it was an appropriate
occasion to do so.

Is crypto only a toy with destructive implications for
governments & societies, or a tool of subjugation with
destructive implications for individuals?  If only cypherpunks
or only government officionados made the decisions about it the
answers would be easier to predict.  But they are not the only
ones involved, and it is my understanding that not all future
developments will be determined on this list.

Blanc

Thread