1994-08-03 - Re: My light bulb goes on… (was:Re: Tuna fish…)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: roy@sendai.cybrspc.mn.org (Roy M. Silvernail)
Message Hash: e82668f20042120cc95a48c06dc59b4a18ba21f5402367fe94d2dacf9fd11232
Message ID: <9408031238.AA12045@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <940802.173235.9o1.rusnews.w165w@sendai.cybrspc.mn.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-03 12:38:59 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 05:38:59 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 05:38:59 PDT
To: roy@sendai.cybrspc.mn.org (Roy M. Silvernail)
Subject: Re: My light bulb goes on... (was:Re: Tuna fish...)

Roy M. Silvernail says:
> In list.cypherpunks, Tim strikes gold:
>
> > (Personally, I think the "volunteer" aspect is at fault here: tens of
> > thousands of users use it for "free," while the software can't be
> > rewritten or maintained adequately. Why not a commercial service? And
> > the same arguments apply, as always, for the Cypherpunks model of
> > remailers.)
>
> Is this not the killer app that would get ecash off and running?  A
> commercial service selling cyberspatial privacy and accepting anonymous
> ecash for the service sounds like a natural!

The problem is not a need for a killer app -- there are dozens. The
obstacle is regulatory problems, and finding a large and reputable
sponsoring organization (like a big bank).

Perry

Thread