1994-08-28 - Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: eb677c81d2099d681ff90940809ec1017607ec728bdf3f86e5f923fa465a44bb
Message ID: <199408280515.BAA15339@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Aug 94 22:17:18 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 94 22:17:18 PDT
To: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

At  7:45 PM 8/27/94 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Eric Hughes says:
>>    >If there were already a fully identified digital money system,
>>
>>    Is there one?
>>
>> I don't think there is any digital money system at all, neither
>> anonymous nor fuly identified.
>>
>> There certainly are digital funds transfer systems, almost all fully
>> identified.  These are not digital money systems, although they may be
>> precursors.
>
>The U.S. banking system is largely a "digital money system" in the
>sense that the bulk of the money in the system is represented in book
>entry form in computer systems and has no other existance.

I suppose what I meant was is there any fully identified offline digital
cash system in the literature. I haven't heard of any from secondary
sources, like around here, or from my cursory reading of Schneier, for
instance.

The penalty for imprecision on a mail-list of scientists is blown
bandwidth.  My apologies.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread