1994-08-09 - EPIC Seeks Release of FBI Wiretap Data

Header Data

From: Dave Banisar <banisar@epic.org>
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f0bc39516acad833ee83aec9ff3c43f839ed3d7df2b6b9b2f9b49a9101704485
Message ID: <9308091315.AA11509@Hacker2.cpsr.digex.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 10:21:20 PDT

Raw message

From: Dave Banisar <banisar@epic.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 10:21:20 PDT
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: EPIC Seeks Release of FBI Wiretap Data

             Electronic Privacy Information Center

                          PRESS RELEASE

For Release:
August 9, 1994
2:00 pm

            Group Seeks Release of FBI Wiretap Data,
      Calls Proposed Surveillance Legislation Unnecessary

     Washington, DC:  A leading privacy rights group today sued
the Federal Bureau of Investigation to force the release of
documents the FBI claims support its campaign for new wiretap
legislation.  The documents were cited by FBI Director Louis Freeh
during testimony before Congress and in a speech to an influential
legal organization but have never been released to the public.

     The lawsuit was filed as proposed legislation which would
mandate technological changes long sought by the FBI was scheduled
to be introduced in Congress.

     The case was brought in federal district court by the
Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest
research organization that has closely monitored the Bureau's
efforts to mandate the design of the nation's telecommunications
infrastructure to facilitate wiretapping.  An earlier EPIC lawsuit
revealed that FBI field offices had reported no difficulties
conducting wiretaps as a result of new digital communications
technology, in apparent contradiction of frequent Bureau claims.

     At issue are two internal FBI surveys that the FBI Director
has cited as evidence that new telephone systems interfere with
law enforcement investigations.  During Congressional testimony on
March 18, Director Freeh described "a 1993 informal survey which
the FBI did with respect to state and local law enforcement
authorities."   According to Freeh, the survey describes the
problems such agencies had encountered in executing court orders
for electronic surveillance.  On May 19 the FBI Director delivered
a speech before the American Law Institute in Washington, DC.  In
his prepared remarks, Freeh stated that "[w]ithin the last month,
the FBI conducted an informal survey of federal and local law
enforcement regarding recent technological problems which revealed
over 180 instances where law enforcement was precluded from
implementing or fully implementing court [wiretap] orders."

     According to David L. Sobel, EPIC's Legal Counsel, the FBI
has not yet demonstrated a need for the sweeping new legislation
that it seeks.  "The Bureau has never presented a convincing case
that its wiretapping capabilities are threatened.  Yet it seeks to
redesign the information infrastructure at an astronomical cost to
the taxpayers."  The nation's telephone companies have
consistently stated that there have been no cases in which the
needs of law enforcement have not been met.

     EPIC is a project of the Fund for Constitutional Government
and Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility.

           FBI Director Freeh's Recent Conflicting
   Statements on the Need for Digital Telephony Legislation

Speech before the Executives' Club of Chicago, February 17:

   Development of technology is moving so rapidly that several
   hundred court-authorized surveillances already have been
   prevented by new technological impediments with advanced
   communications equipment.

               *               *               *

Testimony before Congress on March 18:

   SEN. LEAHY: Have you had any -- for example, digital telephony,
   have you had any instances where you've had a court order for a
   wiretap  that couldn't be executed because of digital
   telephony?

   MR. FREEH: We've had problems just short of that.  And I was
   going to continue with my statement, but I won't now because
   I'd actually rather answer questions than read. We have
   instances of 91 cases -- this was based on a 1993 informal
   survey which the FBI did with respect to state and local law
   enforcement authorities.  I can break that down for you.

               *               *               *

Newsday interview on May 16:

   We've determined about 81 different instances around the
   country where we were not able to execute a court-authorized
   electronic surveillance order because of lack of access to that
   particular system - a digital switch, a digital loop or some
   blocking technology which we didn't have to deal with four or
   five years ago.

Speech before the American Law Institute on May 19:

   Within the last month, the FBI conducted an informal survey of
   federal and local law enforcement regarding recent techno-
   logical problems which revealed over 180 instances where law
   enforcement was precluded from implementing or fully
   implementing court orders [for electronic surveillance].