1994-08-07 - CreditCard info

Header Data

From: Brian Lane <blane@squeaky.free.org>
To: Cypherpunk List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: f2f526ad111581a4f79bfb1f455bc694c223645080a9920b3ca61edc3884f86f
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9408071844.A4502-0100000@squeaky.free.org>
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Aug 94 16:38:30 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian Lane <blane@squeaky.free.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 94 16:38:30 PDT
To: Cypherpunk List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: CreditCard info

 An interesting sideline -
  I ran into an interesting situation at a local video rental place
yesterday. If you give them your credit card number they charge you .25
less a tape to rent it(2.75 compared to 3.00) Your number goes into their
customer databse.

  I laughed, and said i'd rather pay the .25 a tape than take the chance
of some part-time HS kid getting ahold of my CC number.

  It's unbelieveable (to me anyway) that people would give this kind of
information out and trust that it can't be abused. It's bad enough that
we're asked to hand out our SS number for everything.

   Brian

    Linux :  The choice of a GNU generation    |  finger blane@free.org
    witty comments pending                     |  for PGP key and subLit