1994-09-12 - Just In Case You Missed It

Header Data

From: alano@teleport.com (Alan Olsen)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 07d20c7d3df2fb16d67d8f29a73fb73022e33774bc4fae0e98534cdbf47b56cb
Message ID: <199409120154.SAA02958@teleport.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Sep 94 18:54:31 PDT

Raw message

From: alano@teleport.com (Alan Olsen)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 94 18:54:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Just In Case You Missed It

>Date: Sun, 11 Sep 1994 18:33:16 -0700
>From: Bruce Baugh <bruceab@teleport.com>
>To: alano@teleport.com
>Subject: Just In Case You Missed It

>>From: acbul1@penfold.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Bulhak)
>>Newsgroups: alt.humor.best-of-usenet
>>Subject: [alt.discordia] "official" Discordian secret code
>>Date: 12 Sep 1994 01:09:02 GMT
article transmission and does not imply approval of content.  See .sig below.
> [...]
>to a Discordian cypher...
>
>  A Andersianism
>  B Quasimodo
>  C yorba linda
>  D colostomy
>  E chao
>  F mojo
>
>etc...
>
>  This is a fun scheme because the utter apparent randomness of it.  Or at
>least it seems random...  Anyway, it's probably not the best possible
>scheme for a Discordian Secret Code.  Here's are some alternate schemes I
>had for encoding messages:
>
>  * Implosion Method.  Write message on lightbulb.  Implode lightbulb.
>Recipient then reverses time continuum and grabs pre-imploded lightbulb
>from alternate timeline, reads message, and tosses back for implosion
>before anybody notices.
>  Advantages:  NSA Clipper plans (oddly enough) do not extend as far as
>including key/escrow chips in all time travel devices.
>  Disadvantages:  Useless against the Great Race of Yith.
>
>  * St. Gulik Method.   Write the message in radioactive ink on box paste
>and feed to specially trained homing cockroaches.  Release the homing
>cockroaches to skitter home.  Reassemble message from roach entrails.
>  Advantages:  Enemy cryptographers don't like touching roaches.
>  Disadvantages:  Kills the roaches; difficult to train them to go home.
>
>  * O'Leary's Cow Method.   Write message on paper and burn to ashes.
>Send ashes to recipient.
>  Advantages:  No way for enemy to decode message.
>  Disadvantages:  No way for recipient to decode message.
>
>  * Formless Spawn Method.   Write message on outer surface of trained
>Shoggoth in really strong permanent ink.  As Shoggoth moves, message will
>be scrambled on its surface.  With the proper command word, recipient can
>command shoggoth to assume original form(lessness), descrambling the
>message.
>  Advantages:  Message devours any enemy crytographer who tries to decode it.
>  Disadvantages:  No good if recipient fails sanity check.
>

>  Any other suggestions for good encryption schemes would be welcome...
>I'm beginning to feel insecure already, as well as a little on the insane
>side (you try training a shoggoth to act as your message-pod...)
>

>--
>Postings to alt.humor.best-of-usenet reflect what the submittor considers to be
>the best in usenet humor, and the poster is responsible for the content.  The
>moderator removes duplicates, copyrighted material, posts without headers, but
>does not drop articles based on content.  See the group charter for more info.
>Sigs may be truncated.  Moderator address: best@cc.ysu.edu
>--
>|bruceab@teleport.com   Bruce Baugh, thoroughly unaffiliated with Teleport|
>|   "An' besides you IS a rabbit." "Not a 'nothing-BUT-a-rabbit', tho'."  |

|"I would call him a Beastialic Sadomasochistic   | alano@teleport.com   |
|Necrophile but that would be beating a dead      | Disclaimer:          |
|horse." -- Teriyaki (What's up Tiger Lily?)      | Ignore the man       |
|   -- PGP 2.61 key available on request --       |  behind the keyboard.|

Thread