1994-09-19 - Re: Acapulco H.E.A.T. Auxilliary Review

Header Data

From: cactus@bb.com (L. Todd Masco)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0d19674cf4560a991d73a80ba5ce0f03f7c2e6f665f170a2551e7c52a7280a8a
Message ID: <35ksmv$2ah@bb.com>
Reply To: <9409191048.AA11766@memexis.memex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-19 20:33:54 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 13:33:54 PDT

Raw message

From: cactus@bb.com (L. Todd Masco)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 13:33:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Acapulco H.E.A.T. Auxilliary Review

In article <9409191048.AA11766@memexis.memex.com>,
Jonathan Adams <jonathan@memex.com> wrote:
>> 	- the rule of thumb is that 30 feet of water get you an
>> 		atmosphere.  So you're at 102 you're at just
>> 		under 4.5, so you're using air at the rate of
>> 		4.5 times the rate you do on the surface.
>
>It's 1 atmosphere for every 33 feet, but either way, I don't see how
>you managed to get 4.5 * the rate. At around 3 atmospheres, you're
>using air at about 4 times the 1 atmosphere rate.

That's because you didn't add the 1 atmosphere you've already got
above the water to your pressure count, while I did.   We clearly
meant the same thing, since we both got ~4 times the rate.

>Hmmm. I believe that the diving depth-to-time tables (which I don't have
>in front of me. I'll get them out and double check later) give a
>time of around 25 minutes. It has nothing to do with how much air you
>have. The tables are used to avoid the bends and nitrogen narcosis.

I've been assuming that it wouldn't be a problem for the H.E.A.T. folks
 to ascend slowly.  Wouldn't this avoid decompression sickness?  Again,
 it's been a really long time -- moving from Florida to Pittsburgh and
 then NYC will do that.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "A man would simply have to be as mad as a hatter, to try and
cactus@bb.com  |  change the world with a plastic platter." - Todd Rundgren

Thread