1994-09-30 - Re: PGP hole

Header Data

From: Alan Barrett <barrett@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
To: “Dr. D.C. Williams” <dcwill@ee.unr.edu>
Message Hash: 2aef639697a8cc11f2c4ab59b4b60ea6178be50066e33c3d65f7f1c3d03cf885
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9409301126.C1189-0100000@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
Reply To: <199409300340.UAA15324@python>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-30 09:25:02 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 02:25:02 PDT

Raw message

From: Alan Barrett <barrett@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 02:25:02 PDT
To: "Dr. D.C. Williams" <dcwill@ee.unr.edu>
Subject: Re: PGP hole

> The bug seems to be present in all versions (even the ViaCrypt versions
> have this problem). It has been reported as a bug to the MIT pgp-keepers.

The "bug" looks like a deliberate design decision to me.  Everything from
the "--- BEGIN PGP" line to the first blank line is ignored, and is not
considered part of the signed message.  There's a comment in the source
code (file armor.c in the versions I checked), saying "Skip header after
BEGIN line".

--apb (Alan Barrett)

Thread