1994-09-07 - Re: AIDs testing and privacy

Header Data

From: Mike Markley <mmarkley@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3e25c09d4470407b6d34a4c79b178b1d63fa0a26a8aca520dbbb9be6f1537d4f
Message ID: <9409072133.AA12197@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Sep 94 14:34:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Markley <mmarkley@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 94 14:34:05 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: AIDs testing and privacy

Duncan Frissell wrote:

| I suppose I shouldn't admit this as a privacy advocate but I wonder why
| anyone is interested in all this health/credit data.  Since they can't *do*
| anything with it in the real world, seems like a waste of time.

What about being denied a job because you have been treated for some
disease? How about being denied a loan because your medical history has
a profile that indicates that your life expectancy is shorter than the
duration of the loan? It seems that the potential for abuse is so great
that we should not allow such cross referencing.

Mike.

Mike Markley <mmarkley@microsoft.com>

I'm not a Microsoft spokesperson. All opinions expressed here are mine.