1994-09-21 - A meme about politics of country X

Header Data

From: sw@tiac.net (Steve Witham)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 406ffdb80c1dc1c937910a2fce26325525002ba24d1d6cbc5e14555121777bad
Message ID: <199409210148.VAA06698@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 18:48:43 PDT

Raw message

From: sw@tiac.net (Steve Witham)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 18:48:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: A meme about politics of country X

>My hunch is that most of the Western nations are looking for policy
>guidance to Washington...

Now there is a scary thought.  We need a counter-meme.  (Mike Godwin has
a fun article about how he invented a counter-meme and watched it spread,
in the latest *Wired*.)

My meme is: "Boy, don't immitate what *Washington* (or insert your country's
capital here) is doing, those Americans (or whoever) have let their
government go *totally* haywire."

This requires a little support.  For America it's easy (your mileage may
vary):

"Americans all think they're outlaws and ignore what's going on in
government.  They just buy lawyers and accountants and don't think
about it.  The people in Washington get no feedback from the public
so they watch TV for ideas.  Bad cop shows, mostly."

I think it works best if you only talk about one country this way in any
given context.  If two people use the same meme about different countries
in the same context, they can say, "Is it that way *there*, too?  Oh, my."

 --Steve

Steve Witham's .sig contains four a's, one b, two c's, two d's, twenty six e's,
six f's, two g's, three h's, ten i's, one j, one k, two l's, two m's,
twenty n's, seventeen o's, one p, one q, five r's, twenty nine s's,
twenty-one t's, four u's, six v's, twelve w's, four x's, five y's, and one z.

Thread