1994-09-09 - Re: Social punishment 1/3: law without enforcers

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in (Rishab Aiyer Ghosh)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4138e4da403459518b89f8f1aa8b8ba0c11da1ab797bee32821af74c8ea9c39a
Message ID: <3cVHTc2w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Reply To: <199409080538.WAA25992@deepthought.pylon.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-09 20:33:29 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Sep 94 13:33:29 PDT

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in (Rishab Aiyer Ghosh)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 94 13:33:29 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Social punishment 1/3: law without enforcers

blancw@pylon.com writes (in private mail):

> than can present law enforcement  systems. My next post will
> examine the similarities between tribal and  cyberspatial
> society.
>
> I don't know yet what you are going to say about the
> similarities between tribal & cyberspatial societies, but one

I guessed as much ;)

> same category.   The associations which occur in cyberspace are
> not like the ones which occur in the physical plane.  The
> expectations are different -  you don't expect to live with
> these other people in close proximity, you don't expect to
> identify with them as a group in the same way, you are not
> going to get the same benefits on a daily basis or even an
> extended time period, as you might from those with whom you
> interact on more than one level or kind of contact.  I
> personally don't see interactions in cyberspace as constituting
> a 'society', even if they are 'social'.

> Maybe a drive-by society.

Well, as I put it, the primary characteristic of tribe (versus city) has been
portrayed as _physical_ proximity. I would say the more relevant
characteristic is _mental_ proximity, or _social_ proximity, if you accept my
classification of tribes and cyberspace as 'communication societies'.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh             "Clean the air! clean the sky! wash the wind!
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                   take stone from stone and wash them..."
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA

Thread