1994-09-06 - Re: Governments and repression

Header Data

From: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: 43ccba92ede5266eb16dd90bbb38bf05427acc82708fdac1a22728942f795052
Message ID: <9409061433.AA26714@tis.com>
Reply To: <199408311836.LAA07396@comsec.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-06 14:36:02 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 07:36:02 PDT

Raw message

From: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 07:36:02 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: Governments and repression

>Date: Wed, 31 Aug 1994 08:35:12 -0400
>From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>

Perry,

>I would refer to most governments as being no more than large
>organized gangs, differing from the Mafia or Hezbollah only in so far
>as they have convinced large numbers of people of their legitimacy.

It's always bothered me that gov'ts were people wielding power for its own
sake.  I had hoped we had progressed beyond the tribal chieftan stage of
development.  Then again, I remember the bullies in grade school.

To what extent is gov't a home for bullies and to what extent is it the
collective defense against bullies (both ideas finding models in the Wild
West Sheriff)?  How do we turn it from the first to the second?

 - Carl

Thread