1994-09-19 - art encryption…

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 92c90cd589861bc51098029dd678c53657ced99d7de08ca7da1c77f10e4101d0
Message ID: <199409191520.LAA07898@pipe1.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 08:21:30 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 08:21:30 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: art encryption...

Responding to msg by lile@art.net (Lile Elam) on Mon, 19 Sep
0:11 AM

>So, I have been thinking that a way an artist can
>insure a viewer that the art they are viewing is really
>that of the artist, the artist can *sign* their  art
>with their private key and others can check it with
>their public key.  Now, the art would be factered into
>the key generated that others would check with the
>public key.
>
>So, a image file (gif, jpeg, tiff whatever) would be
>run through a encryption  coding that would generate a
>signage based on the artist's image and their private
>key. The image would remain unchanged. Then viewers
>could run the  same encyription coding on the image and
>apply the artist's public key  to see if it really *is*
>their work....

As a parallel to your inquiry I offer:

Thanks to help from this list my firm uses PGP to encrypt, sign
and verify CAD architectural documents exchanged with
consultants and clients.

We also conceal ID in the documents by a simple steganographic
method using combined PGP and CAD posted here a few weeks back,
which is not revealed to the recipients, as a check on
authorized use and distribution.

Any suggested improvements would be welcome.

John

Thread