1994-09-08 - Data havens

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dd6d2c5a952e4d4f40a566f20cb80b80a49489fe98d310f134e28ed3bc675594
Message ID: <199409080032.UAA22826@pipe1.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Sep 94 17:33:12 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 94 17:33:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Data havens

Responding to msg by tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May) on Wed,
7 Sep  4:14 PM

>And such normative laws ("they shouldn't keep such
>records and hence  we'll outlaw them") won't work in an
>era of strong crypto and privacy.  In fact, some of us
>support data havens precisely to have records of,  say,
>terminal diseases so we'll not lend money to
>Joe-who-has-AIDS. It  may not be "fair" to Joe, but
>it's my money.

It is worth noting that private "data havens" of all sorts
abound, especially for financial matters, and most are not
subject to governmental regulation.

Some banks have research departments that are older and more
comprehensive than credit reporting agencies.  Favored
customers can use them for evaluation of private deals.

Large law firms maintain data banks that approach those of
banks, and they grow with each case, through additions of
private investigators paid for by successive clients.

Security professionals, like Wackenhut and Kroll, also market
the fruits of substantial data collections.

To these add those of insurance, bonding, investment, financial
firms and the like which help make or break business deals.

It's probable that massive government-regulated consumer data
banks contain far less useful information than that of the
private market where serious money is made with the best,
privileged information.

Some may be porous but most are guarded better than Ft. Knox,
with special protection against Uncle Sam's snoopers, indeed
more secure than consumer records because more valuable.

Any c'punkers in the security side of the financial industry
want to comment?  Anonymously of course.

John

Thread