1994-10-01 - Re: Friendly, neighborhood NSA…

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: merriman@metronet.com (David K. Merriman)
Message Hash: 2d52b5bf5ef9f70b1620186726135bc29a92527e854204d3a0775ff3022845c3
Message ID: <199410011525.LAA26350@bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <199410010522.AA01650@metronet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-10-01 15:25:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Oct 94 08:25:54 PDT

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 94 08:25:54 PDT
To: merriman@metronet.com (David K. Merriman)
Subject: Re: Friendly, neighborhood NSA...

|----
| Out of the kindness of it's heart, the NSA is going to build us all a nice,
| new, improved WWW!
|
| Isn't that just *too* kind of them?
|
| I wonder why I have this feeling I'd better not turn my back on them.....

	I'd be suprised if they did this without releasing source.  As
soon as they release source, we can drop real encryption into things.
Much as we dislike them, the NSA is *very* good at sorting through and
dealing with huge quantities of data.  ("Its in their nature.")  If we
can take advantage of this, and get a WWW design that is relatively
secure, then thats great.  All we'll need to do is remove the calls to
skipjack(), and replace them with calls to IDEA(). :)

	The NSA is not some huge monolithic enemy.  It is a teaming
multitude of enemies.  Like any other government agency, we need to
tale the good and discard the rest.

Adam

Thread