1994-10-06 - Re: Demonizing Denning

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 3bda2d47fe7d043d3c3b2987ef1f0d3661f96aca41d1cee499af0d8dfcf59921
Message ID: <9410061418.AA00586@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199410060803.BAA06601@netcom6.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-10-06 14:19:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 07:19:23 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 07:19:23 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Demonizing Denning

I agree with Tim and Phil very strongly. Ad hominem attacks are never
justified. I find there is very little point in wasting time on them.

Perry

Timothy C. May says:
> Phil Karn wrote:
>
> > Dorothy Denning may be a naive pawn of the government. She may
> > hold beliefs that appall the rest of us. She may have lost
> > whatever credibility she had in the crypto community by her
> > position. But I still prefer to attack that position and the
> > (il)logic behind it rather than to resort to attacking the person
> > expressing it.

> I agree with Phil. I don't have much respect for Dorothy Denning's
> views, feeling she has sold out to the Beltway mentality, but I can't
> see the point of demonizing her, any more than I can see the point of
> demonizing Jim Bidzos or Mitch Kapor, or lionizing Phil Zimmermann.

Thread