1994-10-04 - Re: Judge Rejects Delay on FBI Wiretap Data

Header Data

From: merriman@metronet.com (David K. Merriman)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a3c8d10d085103f5ea1ac663fc23f45eb5cd88e16af9e687cab082ef6ceafc86
Message ID: <199410040002.AA18561@metronet.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 17:09:21 PDT

Raw message

From: merriman@metronet.com (David K. Merriman)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 17:09:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Judge Rejects Delay on FBI Wiretap Data

>Subject: Judge Rejects Delay on FBI Wiretap Data
>Date: 3 Oct 1994 16:49:03 GMT

>PRESS RELEASE

>For immediate release
>October 3, 1994

>Contact:
>   Marc Rotenberg, EPIC Director
>   David Sobel, EPIC Legal Counsel
>   202 544 9240 (tel)

>            JUDGE REJECTS DELAY ON FBI WIRETAP DATA;

>                 "STUNNED" BY BUREAU'S REQUEST

>WASHINGTON, D.C.- A federal judge today denied the FBI's request
>for a five-year delay in processing documents concerning wiretap
>legislation now pending in Congress.

>     Saying he was "stunned" by the Bureau's attempt to postpone
>court proceedings for five years, U.S. District Judge Charles R.
>Richey ordered the FBI to release the material or to explain its
>reasons for withholding it by November 4.

>     The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public
>interest research group based in Washington, DC, filed the Freedom
>of Information Act lawsuit on August 9, the day legislation was
>introduced in Congress to authorize the expenditure of $500
>million to make the nation's communications systems easier to
>wiretap.  The group is seeking the public release of two surveys
>cited by FBI Director Louis Freeh in support of the pending
>legislation.

>     The FBI had moved to stay proceedings in the case until June
>1999, more than five years after the filing of the initial
>request.  The Bureau asserted it was confronted with "a backlog of
>pending FOIA requests awaiting processing."  The FBI revealed that
>there are "an estimated 20 pages to be reviewed" but said that the
>materials would not be reviewed until "sometime in March 1999."

>     Judge Richey rejected the FBI's claims in sharp language from
>the bench.  He told the government's attorney to "call Director
>Freeh and tell him I said this matter can be taken care of in an
>hour and a half."

>     In court papers filed late last week, EPIC charged that
>the requested materials are far too important to be kept secret.
>"The requested surveys were part of the FBI's long-standing
>campaign to gain passage of unprecedented legislation requiring
>the nation's telecommunications carriers to redesign their
>telephone networks to more easily facilitate court-ordered
>wiretapping," said the EPIC brief.

>     Earlier documents obtained through the FOIA in similar
>litigation with the FBI revealed no technical obstacles to the
>exercise of court-authorized wire surveillance.

>     The FBI is pushing for quick enactment of the wiretap
>legislation in the closing days of the 103rd Congress.  A
>grassroots campaign to oppose the measure is being coordinated by
>EPIC and Voters Telecomm Watch.

>     The Electronic Privacy Information Center is a project of
>Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility, a membership
>organization based in Palo Alto, California, and the Fund for
> [...]

Finger merriman@metronet.com for PGP/RIPEM public keys and fingerprints.
Unencrypted Email may be ignored without notice to sender.  PGP preferred.
Remember: It is not enough to _obey_ Big Brother; you must also learn to
*love* Big Brother.

Thread