1994-10-06 - Re: Government vs. Markets

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: amanda@intercon.com
Message Hash: ad0ae53eaf6777a810d102b865dc81b55a84dea58b15b28307ed548531349604
Message ID: <m0qst9N-0008cKC@crynwr.crynwr.com>
Reply To: <9410052122.AA32506@elfbook.intercon.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-10-06 13:37:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 06:37:21 PDT

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 06:37:21 PDT
To: amanda@intercon.com
Subject: Re: Government vs. Markets

   Date: Wed,  5 Oct 1994 21:22:32 -0400
   From: Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
   Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com

   > In the main, corporations persuade and governments force.

   I don't see so much of a difference.  There is very little
   difference in the nature and methods of governments
   vs. corporations.

Yes, RSA forces us to use their public key encryption or no other.
But who lets them do that?  The government.  Corporations always want
the government to give them a monopoly.  How much easier not to compete!

Most of the evil that corporations do is in collusion with governments.
Purportedly, AT&T had to be incentivized to make Clipper phones.

   A government can usefully be viewed as a
   corporation engaged in the business of public services.  It's
   simply a geographical monopoly, as are many public utilities.

A geographical monopoly with *guns*, and a mandate from the masses to
use them.  I can't say that I've ever seen a Niagara-Mohawk or NYNEX tank.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/crynwr/nelson.html
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key

Thread