1994-11-17 - Re: Soldiers of God

Header Data

From: “JEFF LICQUIA (CEI)” <JLICQUIA@mhc.uiuc.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 05fb299463b5d6818e9784b3aef4a299bef12d879813de17d1e3155727b3b58a
Message ID: <MAILQUEUE-101.941117152917.320@mhc.uiuc.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 13:31:00 PST

Raw message

From: "JEFF LICQUIA (CEI)" <JLICQUIA@mhc.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 13:31:00 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Soldiers of God

> From:          sarah@purvid.purchase.edu (Sayah)

> I apologize if someone else has mentioned this, but what about the
> antiabortion folk... the Christian Coalition, Right-to-life, et el?  Religious
> persecution is alive and well.  And we *all* ought to worry about a group that
> doesn't even want the opposition to think, say or publish opposing viewpoints.
>
> It's all relevant...

I give up; I must really be a persecutor... Say, anyone remember what I
did with my KKK hood?

Now for some content.  I see two very good reasons why Christian
fundamentalists (CFs) would be on the side of the cypherpunk ideals:

1.  There is a recurring theme in CF thought that can be summed up in a
quote often heard: "...cross-referencing the Book of Revelation with the
New York Times..."  Many CFs see parallels in the Bible concerning
predictions about the Antichrist and his aims with the power that is
becoming rapidly available through the "Information Superhighway".  For
an example of this, try mentioning "digital cash" to a CF who isn't very
technically hip and see what kind of reaction you get.

Yet their concerns with these things is ultimately rooted in concern
that a power structure will be erected that centralizes power; when
that center is taken over by the Antichrist (whoever that may be),
that's when "no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark"
(Revelation 13:17 NIV, if you're interested).  These same people, when
they question me (since I'm a computer professional and therefore am
"in danger"), are very enthusiastic when I talk to them about
public-key crypto, anonymized digital cash, and the like, since these
work to decentralize power.  They are also appalled when I describe to
them the implications of Clipper and Digital Telephony.  Thinking CFs
many times despair because of the inevitability of the "information
economy" and the power implications it has; if they were to find out
about any technical tools that would ensure decentralization of the
NII, I'm sure they would fight hard to ensure their inclusion.  Anybody
around here know of any such technical tools? :-)

2.  There are still places in the world where Christians are persecuted;
Tibet comes to mind as one place.  I have already put a copy of PGP into
the hands of someone who wants to communicate with an underground
church, and have also hinted to him about how to use anonymous
remailers, pseudonyms, and the like.  Maintaining communication in many
cases is essential to the survival to a particular cause, and the spread
of the gospel is no different.

I will also add in passing that PGP could possibly be of interest for
use by both moderate and radical pro-life groups, who now both fear
repression as a result of the publicity of the murder of the abortion
doctor in Florida.  (BIG DISCLAIMER: I am pro-life, and am totally
opposed to the killing of abortion doctors.  I am NOT advocating any
position on abortion on the list, however, and will not defend my
position here.  Remember that just because YOU oppose a group does not
mean they don't deserve privacy!)

Thread