1994-11-24 - Hows THIS For Some Human Interest!

Header Data

From: anonymous-remailer@xs4all.nl (Name withheld on request)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 07530cfa7434ae700c0a0fc0ae64ab7990423499380acd88f81af5dad7b46398
Message ID: <199411240707.AA07018@xs1.xs4all.nl>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 23:06:45 PST

Raw message

From: anonymous-remailer@xs4all.nl (Name withheld on request)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 23:06:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hows THIS For Some Human Interest!

Its funny, but this girl I'm seeing will be getting some Internet training
in the near future for the gov't job she holds. And in the course of talking
about that this evening with her, I briefly chatted with her about cryptography
privacy and PGP.

But when we talked abit more on this subject, she revealed something I found to
be pretty interesting. It turns out that her old man was an MI6 operative
during WWII. That certainly caused me to raise my eyebrows a bit.

He evidently was one of MI6's operatives in Iraq and did some pretty lethal
shit. Apparently he was involved in some economic warfare (whatever the hell
that means) aginast Axis interests in the area.She told me he still clams up
REAL good about his wartime experiences and it takes quite abit of coaxing to
get anything out of him. It sounds like his security clearance was pretty
reasonable.....likely in the secret/top secret category.

As somebody whose closest contact with an operative of an intelligence
service has been the cover of a Len Deighton novel, I found this awful
intriguing. MI6, from what I understand is one of the oldest and longest
running agencies around. I think they started up (offically) in 1910,
although Whitehall likely had some spooks earlier than that, given Britain's
colonial exposure. And indeed, MI6 is one of the best. Maybe even THE best?

Still, you can be damn sure I'm going to remain friends with this lady
for some time. What her father has to tell is probably pretty enlightening,
to say the least.

Thread