1994-11-28 - Re: Zimmermann interrogated without counsel

Header Data

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
To: Phil Karn <karn@unix.ka9q.ampr.org>
Message Hash: 07669610bd5bbb0bcc25fb92a31ac4d402cc26f7668482d1d1b5e2ef1ba1e983
Message ID: <199411280610.BAA24922@crypto.com>
Reply To: <199411280606.WAA09232@unix.ka9q.ampr.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-28 06:09:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 27 Nov 94 22:09:25 PST

Raw message

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 94 22:09:25 PST
To: Phil Karn <karn@unix.ka9q.ampr.org>
Subject: Re: Zimmermann interrogated without counsel

>There was supposed to be an exemption for temporary export of
>cryptography by US citizens for personal use overseas. At least it was
>announced last spring by Martha Harris at the State Dept.
>
>There's some confusion about whether the exemption ever actually took
>effect; the current consensus appears to be that it has not. So I
>guess you still have to go through the formality.
>
>Phil

According to our export guy (and also someone I spoke with at NIST)
that exemption is not yet in effect.

-matt

Thread