1994-11-19 - Re: I Like ASCII, not MIME and Other Fancy Crap

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1531bd243e4a5f827c5ed29f512c66bf0b29895507fa527014d482dc39df018a
Message ID: <199411192342.PAA06974@netcom13.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Nov 94 15:42:13 PST

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 94 15:42:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: I Like ASCII, not MIME and Other Fancy Crap

>> As for solutions, the only solutions there are and ever will be involve you
>> getting of that terminal server. The evolution of the Internet will make
>> ASCII terminals obsolete. If it hasn't already done so.
>>
>> Let's take that poll of what people use. I am curious.
>
>All right, you asked for it. :-)

[Long list delete. Wow! But notice, he _is_ getting the stuff of the
termial server.]

>My best experience with PGP is using perl scripts integrated with elm
>(thus a preference for using linux for mail).  However it doesn't handle
>MIME right.  Pine seems to handle MIME, but I haven't figured out how to
>add PGP support.

There is a Pine with PGP support out there. I don't use mail on UNIX, so I
don't have it handy, but I am sure someone else on the list will tell you
all about it.

>I have yet to play with the PGP Applescripts for Eudora.  They're
>sitting on my Mac's disk waiting for me to try them.

Same here. I have just been to busy helping people get a better net connection.

>I'd be curious to hear your commentions/suggestions.

How about someone makes up a fill out form that we then send in for
analysis? That's how we did it two years ago.

>> P.S. If anybody here on the list wants to know how to turn their regular
>> shell account into a SLIP account, email me for info or read
>> alt.dcom.slip-emulators. Please don't ask about it on the list.
>
>Is this TIA on the Mac?  I haven't tried that yet.  I've tried term in
>linux, which sounds similar, and it didn't work.  And for the moment, I
>do have means to get a SLIP connection.

If you have a SLIP connection, then use that.

Yes, it is TIA, but not on the Mac. TIA runs on the UNIX host only. Your
Mac/PC/Whatever just uses standard SLIP software and doesn't have the
slightest clue that the other end isn't _really_ a SLIP sever. Unlike term,
where you have to recompile the software on the client to work with it. But
please, lets keep the SLIP discussion off the list. Anyone who is
interested please email me for more info.

Happy netting,

-- Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread