1994-11-26 - Re: Privacy Digest

Header Data

From: njohnson@easynet.com (N. D. Johnson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2d586f414acbfcfc8a19851520ba53e02093d82db55c53ac3d6534554a9caa5c
Message ID: <m0rBWk5-0002IvC@easynet.com>
Reply To: <9411262253.AA00381@carbon.informix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-26 23:29:02 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Nov 94 15:29:02 PST

Raw message

From: njohnson@easynet.com (N. D. Johnson)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 94 15:29:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Privacy Digest

Critias:
> Many people around the world offer services that are convenient
> if one wishes to prevent the government from learning about your
> financial activities, but they do not advertise "Hey, come to us
> to cheat taxes and evade controls" because if they did it would
> diminish their usefulness, both to those of their clients that
> are using them to avoid taxes, and to those of their clients who
> use them for other purposes.

How does this follow?  I actually makes no sense.  With better advertising
they would have more customers, more volume, lower overhead, and thus
lower prices.  Just like any other business.

I think rather, a tradition of obscurity has built up, because the
offshore havens are based obscure legal legerdemain that requires
stiff legal fees.  If a business catering to the upper middle class
rather than the wealthy were set up, this would require blowing away
a lot of the legal obscurity, which the lawyers and fraudsters (who
take full advantage of the fine print) are loathe to do.

He who dares to cut through the webs of legal bullshit and
governmental censorship of offshore techniques will upen up a
tremendous market and shake the foundataions of the planet.

N.D. Johnson

Thread